Welcome

Welcome to Harvest Moon, a place where the creatures and landscapes of my imagination take form and meet the world. Nestled in beneath the wild craggy tors of Dartmoor inspiration comes on chilly winds from moonlit landscapes of other realms which share this rugged, ancient land of gorse and granite. Living here I sometimes feel on a bridge between worlds and ages as the land speaks from spluttering streams and wind-beaten tors, telling stories of folk and beast, but only in snatches before the endings are whipped away down the valley with the broad river and out to sea. So here I will share these stories and characters and they can dwell in your own imagination, continuing their stories with infinite outcomes. This is how they live, enjoy them!

Thursday, 24 January 2013

Robin



Well, after 2 long weeks 'post term' Robin Aitken arrived in just the way we had hoped. I had a smooth and trouble-free labour of around 9 hours and gave birth to Robin, a beautiful healthy boy of 7lb8, in the birth pool in our sitting room at home. We felt so relieved after having been told by the doctors that I wouldn't be allowed to give birth at home and would need to be induced as I was so overdue (although 2 weeks over is the norm for first babies!).

We had been called in to the hospital on the monday to have a check up and the obligatory warnings they give at 42 weeks. We had negotiated about when we would go in next, and managed to delay induction. I then conceded to a 'sweep' to help things along a little more naturally and immediately began having contractions....I knew he was ready to come out! So paradoxically Doug and I, on realising that I was going in to labour, were rushing to get away from the hospital! We both really wanted to stick with our plan, and the tests had shown that both Little Bean and I were healthy and well....so we stuck to our guns, and it all worked out perfectly. Robin was born at 11.30 the next morning on beautiful sunny, frosty december day. We realise of course that we are very lucky and are full of gratitude!

Robin is now 6 weeks old already....I cant believe how the weeks have flown by. It feels like we are all finding our feet and gelling as a family in a beautiful happy chaos of love and learning. He changes each day and is constantly gaining new skills....peeing in his own face, smiling, batting the dangling creatures on his bouncer...he's a very clever boy!

A friend asked me last week what my latest creative project was. As he takes a keen interest in my drawing he likes to see what I'm working on. I simply grinned as I bobbed across the room with babe in arms and replied "Robin".


2 comments:

  1. So lovely. A good home birth is incredible, we had our last two at home. Enjoy your Robin as he grows.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations!!! He is beautiful...very happy you were able to have him at home...My daughter was born in a hospital & my son a farmhouse....this was in the 70's....I enjoyed the latter so much more...
    Much happiness to you all..

    XO

    ReplyDelete