Welcome

Welcome to Harvest Moon, a place where the creatures and landscapes of my imagination take form and meet the world. Nestled in beneath the wild craggy tors of Dartmoor inspiration comes on chilly winds from moonlit landscapes of other realms which share this rugged, ancient land of gorse and granite. Living here I sometimes feel on a bridge between worlds and ages as the land speaks from spluttering streams and wind-beaten tors, telling stories of folk and beast, but only in snatches before the endings are whipped away down the valley with the broad river and out to sea. So here I will share these stories and characters and they can dwell in your own imagination, continuing their stories with infinite outcomes. This is how they live, enjoy them!

Thursday, 9 August 2012

doodling again

It's so nice to be doodling again. I allowed myself an afternoon of papery liberation; no objective, no required outcome, just letting the pencil drift around the page as it likes. It makes me think of improvised dance or spontaneous singing; just letting go into something, allowing the creative impulse to flow through you. This makes me think of meditation. A teacher's words stick in my mind from a retreat I once sat....'all meditation is, is learning to stop yourself getting in the way'.

We spend a lot of our time getting in our own way. Hoping or fearing for the future, pining for or regretting the past. As a well-seasoned worrier I spend a certain amount of time anticipating things, and it never ceases to amaze me how the actual event of something pales into insignificance relative to the anticipation that precedes it. My drawing shows me this too. When I allow myself the freedom to let the pencil do the work, and I am able to slip into that dreamlike zone of being a passive link between the world and the paper, beautiful and surprising things emerge that I could never have conjured in my mind before hand. Likewise if I can focus my mind on a clear image and have the patience, care and concentration to see it through, something beautiful can be created. But when I am too fixed on the end result, and lacking in patience and focus.....well, pages are torn out and used for kindling.

Here is one of the surprises from my dreamy doodling day.....


4 comments:

  1. Very regal, yet gentle too. I love deers, they remind me of my dad. Such a beautiful drawing

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is gorgeous and I love your sentiment and it is very spot on.......Enjoying the now without lots of attachments added can be quite liberating......

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been complaining about our hot & humid weather of late, then I was reading your blog and saw your weather woes and decided things could be worse. I borrowed your quote about making fudge when it rains and encouraged my friends to come visit Harvest Moon. I hope you don't mind! ps - love your doodle - love everything you do!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks folks! What great encouragement for me to open the pencil box! Your kind words are much appreciated....

    .....and it's still raining by the way....more fudge anyone?

    C x

    ReplyDelete